What We Do
Crisis Care and Support
We provide support and financial assistance to people experiencing hardship, including those who are sick and injured, bereaved, imprisoned and unemployed.
We receive referrals from the Irish Embassy in Canberra, the Honorary Consulate of Ireland, WA, family members and friends in Ireland and in Australia, welfare agencies and community support groups.
If you or someone you know from the Irish community in Western Australia is in need of help you can contact Claddagh directly for support by contacting the Claddagh office on firstname.lastname@example.org or calling our crisis number on 0403972265. For more information on how we support members of the Irish community experiencing difficulties, please visit our support section.
Support for SeniorsRecognising that advancing years can bring increased isolation, particularly for those who live far from their extended family, Claddagh offers dedicated support for the senior members of the Irish community in WA. For more information on this program, please visit our ‘Seniors’ section.
Since COVID-19, our caseload has increased significantly as we support people who need assistance as a result of the global pandemic.
Promoting the Wellbeing of the Irish Community
We don’t just work with individuals in difficult circumstances. We are also committed to sharing our resources, expertise, facilities and programs with the wider Irish community. Our work empowers other Irish community groups to support our community, building resilience through connection.
- We scan for emerging challenges, and proactively develop community level responses to address them. For example, our Mental Health First Aid training for Irish community group volunteers responded to a growing risk of issues arising from stress and isolation of Covid-19.
- We provide information, workshops and training that fosters resilience in the Irish community.
- We respond to the needs of the Irish community as they arise. For example, since COVID-19, we have been hosting free, quarterly visa clinics with a Registered Migration Agent giving advice on migration and visa issues, citizenship and travel exemptions.
- We link people to service providers in Ireland, the Honorary Consul in Perth and Irish Embassy in Canberra to smooth the transition between our two countries.
- We collaborate with other Irish community groups to organise cultural and community events.