Check list before you leave

aircraft-513641Travel Insurance

The Claddagh strongly recommends you purchase comprehensive travel insurance before you depart Ireland. Over the last 16 years, The Claddagh has encountered countless Irish people that have been seriously injured or killed and did not have travel insurance. This causes a huge amount of distress on families already in turmoil.

The Reciprocal Health Agreement between Ireland and Australia covers emergency cover in hospital but does not cover for instance the cost of ambulances, medicines, physiotherapy or loss of earnings.  In the case of medical evacuation to Ireland following a serious injury, insurance will reduce or remove the burden that would otherwise arise for you or your family.

When choosing travel insurance it is important that it covers sports or other activities that might be participated in while in Australia.  If you plan to work on a farm to extend a Working Holiday visa, the policy should cover manual labour.

For more information, click on the following link:


Book a Return Flight

Your return flight is your safety net, there are many reasons you may need to return to Ireland, such as a family crisis at home or if you are injured and unable to work here.

Register with the Department of Foreign Affairs

The Department of Foreign Affairs encourages Irish citizens travelling or living overseas to register their contact details with them. When you register your details with the Department, it means that they can contact you if there is an unforeseen crisis such as a natural disaster or civil unrest or if you have a family emergency while you are overseas. Your registration will assist the Department to locate you and, if necessary, provide assistance to you and your family in Ireland.

For more information, click on the following link:

This is especially relevant to people living in parts of Australia prone to natural disasters, such as cyclones, bush fires and flooding. For further information refer to the DFA website


money-494163_1920Have access to adequate funds

Perth consistently ranks in the top 20 most expensive cities in the world. People arriving from Ireland are usually very shocked at the cost of food, accommodation and a night out in town.

One of the requirements to get a Working Holiday Visa (417) is you must have access to sufficient funds to support yourself for the initial stage of your holiday. You should also have a return or onward ticket or the funds for a fare to depart Australia. You may be asked to provide evidence.

The Claddagh has encountered many people especially in recent times that have completely run out of funds and are on the verge of homelessness. These people expected to find work immediately and because they came with little savings they very quickly found themselves in a crisis situation.

The amount of money you need to bring with you will depend on your personal circumstances.


Do your research 

There are numerous other websites with lots of useful information.

Also, check out Perth-based Facebook pages as they contain a wealth of information. These Facebook pages have hundreds of members and they will give you an insight into life in Perth, including some of the challenges.

The Claddagh Perth

Irish Families in Perth

Irish Around WA

Irish People Living in Australia

Obtaining a Visa

A visa is defined by the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Citizenship

(DIBP) as “Permission to travel to, to enter and/or to remain in Australia for a period of time or indefinitely.”

There are numerous visa types ranging from those aimed at:

  • the tourist, spending time exploring the Australian country and cities;
  • the student, studying in university to further their education and skill;
  • the work holiday visa, for the young person wishing to combine travel and earning money;
  • the professional and other skilled workers moving to Australia to work and provide for their family and dependants.

The visa type that you choose will determine your rights and entitlements in Australia. Researching the different options and visas available for your own situation will help you make the best decision.

An example of a temporary visa is Subclass 457.  This allows employers to employ an approved skilled worker to work in Australia on a temporary basis. There are no entitlements to Centrelink and Medicare amongst other services on this visa (for holders of Republic of Ireland passports) and there are restrictions on your employment.

An example of a permanent visa is Subclass 189. Permanent Residency (PR) will mean that your entitlements in Australia increase. You can avail of Centrelink and Medicare. The visa type that you opt for may also determine the duration that you can stay in Australia.

The DIBP website provides a wealth of information on all the visa options and sets out the criteria for each specific visa type

The website provides details on topics such as:

  • Visa types available

  • Living in Australia

  • Fees and Charges for different Visas

  • Visa forms

  • Applying online

  • Success stories of Visa Applicants and their visa route.

  • “Contact Us” Section provides contact details for specific topics. This will bring you through a step by step process with links to reading material on the website, allowing you to check if your query can be answered on the website.

The DIBP website is an excellent source of information. Please take the time to read and browse it to help you make an informed decision about the visa that is best suited to you and your situation.

Using a Migration Agent

It is possible to lodge any sort of visa application yourself and most applications can be lodged online. However you may want to use a registered migration agent if you do not feel confident in lodging an application, or if your case is complex.

In Australia, migration agents must be registered with the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA). If you choose to use a migration agent, you should use a registered migration agent.

A registered migration agent can use their knowledge of Australia’s migration procedures to offer advice or assistance to a person wishing to obtain a visa to enter or remain in Australia.

For further information or to find a Registered Migration Agent refer to: